Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Food on the farm









I have just spent a wonderful week at my cousin's farm.

I went (all alone!) to attend some of the F.O.O.D week events. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time and with my favourite person living on F.O.O.D week's doorstep, it seemed like the perfect time to go. It was a great excuse for us to catch up and have some quality time together.

Local food and wine, farm tours, real* autumn weather, country drives, bric brac and wonderful new discoveries - together - that ticks all the boxes for a perfect week. But, hang on, these are not pictures of F.O.O.D week. This what we ate on the farm. These are photos of our last lunch together.


Our dinner on my first night.

An antipasto platter and red wine.

Homemade feta, blue cheese, olive hommus, tomato and basil from the neighbours garden, marinated olives, artichokes, rocket, salami - hot and mild, brie, crackers, homemade plumbrillo (made from the bountiful plum tree during summer) and figs from the farm.


But wait there's more... we definitely did a lot of eating this week.

We ate Karen's famous tandoori chicken pizza with mango, coriander and yoghurt dressing and the best-ever homemade sausage rolls. The last of the homegrown walnuts and persimmons were tasted, along with, out-of-this-world stewed apricots and tangy homemade yoghurt. Too many of my cold weather favourites - ham and cheese toasties were eaten (both at the farm and out) and too many cappuccinos were consumed (both at the farm and out). I loved eating Karen's homemade fig and vanilla jam on toast for breakfast, so good, that two jars of it came home with me.

This girl knows how to cook!

Maybe, we didn't need to leave the farm at all.


*In Queensland we do not get what I call 'real' autumn weather, we don't get the four seasons. Autumn is my favourite season, but I did not get to experience it for myself, until I was 22 and moved to England. Now, I miss autumn and the seasons. Every. Single. Day.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your week at the farm - it looked amazing !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...