Thursday, January 3, 2013

Always be prepared!

 My 'word' for 2013 is PREPARE.

I didn't choose it.

It chose me.

This word first appeared on a calender I bought over a month ago, and it seemed to be in every book I have read since. But really, it has been there along, in me.

This year, I am focusing most of my attention on my home life. I'm loosely nicknaming this year: 

the year of the homemaker.

• I'd like to make soap and cheese and butter and bread and quilts and clothes and laundry detergent.
• I'd like to find some success in growing my own vegetables.
• I'd like to save water, reduce my energy and car usage and be a better recycler.
• I'd like to make routines that work (I think that means I need to stick to them).
• I'd like my children to learn good manners and be helpful with household tasks.
• I'd like to be better with money.
• I'd like to be a more mindful in every aspect of my life.
• I'd like to find some balance (this has been my 'word' for the last 4 years!)



I'd like some things in my life to change. But... I'm not ready.

It's no secret that I would like a little bit of land and a crumbling old house to renovate. But what if someone gave it to me tomorrow? I couldn't just walk in and begin living the life that I wish for. There are so many new skills that I need to learn first. Lucky for me, I can learn them (at least some of them) right where I am. Anyway, I can't move to the country just yet, I'm still perfecting the perfect sponge cake recipe!

I need to be happy: here and now. Learning: here and now. Preparing: here and now This is where there is security. There is a good job for my husband, there is a good school for my children, there are good friends and family support.

Being prepared for change is important. Only then, I will know exactly what is right for my family.

I'm excited - year of the homemaker! I think I was always meant for this role.

Do you have a 'word' for 2013? I'd love to learn of your focus for the year.

These beautiful Nikki McClure images are from here. 

10 comments:

  1. i'm more of a go with the flow kind of person resolutions-wise, but being more homebody and homemaker is very much at the forefront of my mind now as i mentally prepare myself for a return to newborndom in a couple of months.
    and i am desperate to make my own soap too! realistically i shall have to wait until the tail end of the year to get into that, but thats ok.
    blooming where you grow is a recipe for happiness of that i'm convinced. good luck in your endeavors x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for your lovely comment. I’m so glad that you stopped by, as now I have found your great blog.

      I have a friend about to have a baby too, recently we were talking about getting together to make sausages, but like you, that will have too wait until later in the year. But it is nice to have a goal:)

      xo

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of year of homemaking - so many of the things in your list resonated with me. A good focus to have I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I love your Year of the Homemaker. I would also like to do many of the things on your list. We had so much change going on last year that which left me quite exhausted so I'm hoping for a quieter year this year. Last year was a really great year though on the back of a horrible 2011 where we were unhappy living in Sydney after just 18 months and my husband left his job leaving us effectively unemployed. It all came together last year when we moved back to Tassie but this year I hope for some consolidation. Just enjoying what we have more, with less change. All the best! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that 2013 is all that you wish for. You live is such a beautiful part of the world, it seems as if everything has fallen into place for you. Enjoy:)

      xo

      Delete
  4. We have some big changes to the home routine with me working more hours this year so we will all be trying to find the balance I think. My word is 'patience' as some days I forget to appreciate the little things and get caught trying time hurry those around me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great word. My idea of a homemaker is someone who has patience. I’d like to be someone who makes the school lunches the night before and gets up when the alarm goes off - everyday. I don’t like that I am always putting my daughters hair in a pony tail while walking out to the car. I’d like to be more organised so I can listen to the latest hairstyle request and have the time to do it for her. Because really, how nice is it, when you stop and brush your daughters hair and listen to her chatter on about the day ahead:)

      All the best for your year ahead.

      xo

      Delete
  5. I like your new approach, it sounds all very sensible.
    My word for the year is 'Enjoy'..don't know why, I think with the whirlwind of a year we had last year I want to slow down, focus on my family and just Enjoy, whatever it is I'm doing, or not doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello:)

      I love your word. I hope to enjoy my home days too. And I love that you have added.... enjoy, whatever you are not doing. It is so easy to get caught up with, I should be doing this and not enjoying what you are actually doing. Like Kate said, rushing through the little things.

      We recently went to a workshop, have I told you? This is a new catch phase used in our family, especially when we are interacting with our children "what moment is this?"

      Can we take 1 minute to look and listen as a child explains a drawing or is it more important to get the dinner on the table 1 minute earlier.

      "what moment is this?"- I love it.

      Enjoy xo

      Delete
  6. I love the term 'Year of the homemaker'. I was just chatting with a friend yesterday about my desire to do more in and around the home this year. I am keen to build on the home skills I already have to learn more. I also need to slow right down and appreciate living in the moment.
    This year is going to be great!
    x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...