Wednesday, November 28, 2012

One hundred


If my Nana was still alive, she would have turned 100 years old today.

I would loved to have been able to make her a sponge cake, lathered with sweetened whipped cream and piled high with strawberries, her favourite birthday cake. I would have loved for her to sit with my children and I and eat it for afternoon tea. We would have used her good teapot as she always did on her birthdays.

Tonight I am cooking a roast chicken, just the way Nana used to make it. It will be just us, but wouldn't it have been nice to have had all of our family for dinner: my cousins, my aunts and my uncles, around the table once again. Wouldn't it have been nice to be able to share this meal, as we did on so many Sunday's of my childhood.

But no matter where we are or what we are eating, Nana lives on in all of our hearts.

Someone else was also born on this day. A special girl will be turning 13 today. 

Happy birthday Jessica. xo

8 comments:

  1. It's beautiful to see how you choose to remember your obviously adored and treasured Nan, by eating her favourite foods etc. I adored mine too and love looking at old photos of her from when she was young. Is that you with your Nanna in the photo, it looks like it could be - what a beautiful photo. Enjoy the memories cos at the end of the day I think it is all we really have that actually really matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment! This photo is of my Nana and my Aunt. I was lucky to get Nana’s photo box after she passed away. As a child I loved looking through that box of old memories. I’d either sit alone on the floor in Nana’s bedroom for hours or out on the verandah with Nana as she went down nostalgia lane. Now I sometimes sit down with my children and we look through it. They ask “who’s this?” and “who’s that?” and just like Nana had said to me so often, I say the same thing: “I’m not sure”, “I don’t know”, “I think that might be Aunty ....?”

      Ahhh, memories:)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful woman your Nana was.
    I'm with you: the memories, the stories, they're the most important things... and the only things we really take with us.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both so right, it is the memories that we take along with us now through the rest of our lives. It is the stories that I share with my children that keep her in our hearts. My Nana is ever present in our lives because of all of those beautiful memories that we have of her.

      Thank-you ladies for your lovely words. xo

      Delete
  3. WOW! Firstly Happy Birthday Nan! and Jess xo xo.
    When I just saw this photo I saw myself in that face, then I read your comment OMG!!! Is that my mother!!! And isn't she just a little Daisy as well! Speak soon, hope you enjoyed your chicken dinner, did you have yummy roasted soggy potatoes too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, I see you in that photo too, but Daisy is definitely a mini Margie!!!

      As you know by now, that dinner was great, even if I didn't quiet get those legendary roast potatoes right!

      xo

      Delete
  4. They live on in us forever. My dad died 3 years ago around this time, and I feel him every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie,

      I don't know how I missed your comment. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. You are so right, I feel my Nana every day too. She was right by my side as I cooked that dinner the other night:)

      xo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...