Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stepping back in time



Over the Easter break we spent a fantastic afternoon exploring a local historical museum.

Yes, the little boy is real. He belongs to me, but I think he would of fitted in nicely in the late 1890's



Spunky Monkey, was happy to step back in time and loved pumping water from this old pump.



I love historical museums and houses set up like this one. You can read all about 'how life was' in books, but it's only when you stand inside a house like this slab hut, that you can really get a sense what life must of been like. A family, just like us, lived here. This particular house was moved from a community close to where I grew up.









The slab hut consisted of three rooms. I loved the kitchen and dining room area, and all of the cookware from yesteryear. Unfortunately the other rooms were too dark to take any good photos.



The kids loved the demonstrations put on by the volunteers, especially the wood turning. I think they stood here watching this man for about an hour.



There was also a blacksmith demonstration.





They were most excited by making their very own length of rope on a 98 year rope making machine and waited ever so patiently while a few big kids pushed in.



I loved the little one room school and the way it was set up for class.



The three R's, then back home to milk the cow, chop the wood, feed the pigs and pump the water.

3 comments:

  1. I am curious about the rope there on the desks, in this picture it looks like kids back then were tied down to keep them at their desks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful shared experience and so wonderful to see your children genuinely interested in all that was to be seen.

    Spying the butter churn in the kitchen took me straight back to my Grandparent's kitchen where Grandma would take the milk from their dairy cow and make the butter for the week - and man did it taste good!

    Thank you for the trip down 'memory' lane,

    Felicity x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sort of thing - and so do the kids. A bit like Sovereign Hill in Victoria, where we spent two packed days last year.
    You know I think I have to steal your 'craft projects wish list' idea. I have so many things buzzing around my head (and purpose-bought fabric in the stash), and I need something to keep me focused! I love ticking things off on lists.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...