Saturday, October 23, 2010

Dreams for sale



Don't ask me why I was looking on this website at 6:20am this morning, I just was and this what I found.

This property for sale. This property is the farm where my mother grew up and where my some of happiest memories were formed. It is the farm that I have often referred too, and I know that I will do so again in the future.



I was not looking for this farm, so when the images came unexpectedly onto the screen, I cried and cried. Why? I'm not sure. For a lost time perhaps, for something that is gone forever. And for my Nana, who, at times, I miss desperately. The last time I saw these houses and this farm, was well over 20 years ago.

My Nana often passed this house as a girl, when she would go along with her parents, in a horse drawn buggy, to take their butter into town. She would look up at this house on the hill and tell her mother: "One day I'm going to live in that house". She made her dreams come true. She did it. Her and my grandfather, along with two of Nana's brothers bought the farm sometime during the 1950's. Eventually as the children came along my Nana and Grandad bought them out.



She then lived there for the next 40 years of her life.

The house in the top picture is the main farmhouse. Oh, the love between those walls. That house has such a hold over my heart, I can't even explain it. But Nana only lived there until I was about three years old. When my grandfather got sick, they moved up the hill to the cottage. That is the house in the second picture.

The cottage was actually where I spent all of my school holidays and where my our whole family came together every Sunday night for Nana's roast chicken dinner. It was here that I watched old movies and put on concerts with my cousins. Our cubbie houses were out the back of the cottage, ours (the three younger cousins) had a cubbie in the old dunnie and the boys (the two older cousins) had a cubbie in the old chicken coop. How Nana put up with all five of us at once, I'll never know. We laughed, we cried, we fought. We played a lot of cards and a lot of matchbox cars. There was often a green frog in the toilet and we had to reuse all of the wash water for Nana's rose garden. We are all very lucky to have experienced this kind of childhood.

Yes, those time are gone, and the house remains, but what I am looking for is no longer at that farm, it's in me.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, at first I thought this was very sad ... but look at all the memories it's brought flooding back. And you're right, what's precious about that house is with you, not on the property anymore.

    Maybe whomever buys it will have similarly fond memories in years to come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Those memories are 'in you'.

    My grandparents house (that my grandfather built before my father was born) was sold a few years ago. A lovely young family moved in and are creating new dreams.

    Your post is timely. I'm off to say goodby to my Gran tomorrow. She's been ill for months and this will be the last time i see her. I'm trying to tell myself just to be thankful for all the good memories and not be sad....

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, how incredible to come across this, I can imagine it would be very emotional. Lovely story !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching story. Just gorgeous. I can see why you fell in love with that memory. Why wouldn't you! Just beautiful. When life gets too hectic and I become impatient with my children, I just need to remember that every day I'm creating a memory. I'd love nothing better than for my children to look back at their life and be connected to their memories like you have. Gorgeous post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how amazing. what a beautiful childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand why you cried. It's a charming cottage full of your history. I hope the people who buy it will love it as much as your family has.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...